Ayurvedic insight into kidney stones and their treatment!
A deep understanding of kidney stones through the ayurvedic view
Nobody knows how an object of 2mm can affect their physical wellbeing. As that object can prove to be harmful to your body, it is associated with the phenomenon that can bring severe outcomes called kidney stones. A kidney stone can cause a series of events, and the peak of severity is the excruciating pain that its patient has to suffer from.
Another term for kidney stones is renal stones. They can take a toll on the body as they are stated as one of the most common and distressing maladies.
Kidney stones belong to the background of urinary disorders and are the primary reason for abdominal pain. Proper treatment is required to treat the maliciousness of kidney stones.
Ayurvedic insight into kidney stones proves that the renal stone is defined as the presence of stones/ calculus in the drainage system of the body, which is known as the urinary system (kidney, bladder, and urethra). The ayurvedic term for kidney stones is Ashmari.
On splitting the word “Ashmari ”, we get Ashm which means a stone, and ari that denotes an enemy, a stone that works as an enemy for the body. It is specifically called Moothrashmari (Urolithiasis), A disease associated with Mutra Vaha Srotas (urinary tract) and the formation of one or more stones that have extreme outcomes – severe pain which the enemy gives.
According to the renowned Acharya Sushruta, the dual process of stone formation is explained thoroughly. The first process is by the stagnation and supersaturation of the urine through substances that form crystals (calcium, oxalate, and uric acid)- then the fluid present in the urine can dilute.
At the same time, the substances which prevent the crystals from joining together are not in sufficient amounts in the urine. As a result, an ideal environment is formed for the episode of kidney stone formation.
Aetiology of renal stones
Kidney stones are small packages having big troubles for the body. They do not have a definite cause, as multiple factors can elevate the risk of acquiring a kidney stone. It is essential to know what type of kidney stones you have as it assists in determining the cause and provides preventive measures to reduce the risk of having more kidney stones.
Underlying describes the types of kidney stones and their causes:
- Calcium stones: Calcium stones account for the maximum cases as they generally form in calcium oxalate. Oxalate is a substance that is formed by your liver daily or absorbed from your diet intake. Several fruits and vegetables, including nuts and chocolates, are rich in oxalate content.
- Struvite stones: They form in response to an episode of urinary tract infection. These stones can progress speedily and grow to be large, causing few symptoms and alarming signs.
- Uric acid stones: Uric acid stones form because of losing excess fluids due to medical conditions such as chronic diarrhoea or malabsorption. People who consume a protein-rich diet and have diabetes or metabolic syndrome can acquire the risk of getting uric acid stones. Genetic factors are also associated with the formation of uric acid stones.
- Cystine stones: People with inherited disorders can experience the formation of cystine stones and hampers the kidneys, due to which the organ excrete too much of specific amino acid.
Ayurvedic treatment for Kidney Stone identifies the type of kidney stone first to prepare an efficient treatment.
What are the potential markers of having kidney stones?
A renal stone will not cause any symptoms until it starts moving around within the kidneys or transfers in the tubes that connect the kidneys and the bladder (ureters).
However, a kidney stone that becomes lodged in the urethra can obstruct the urine flow causing renal inflammation and the ureter to spasm. However, this process can be painful and triggers underlying symptoms:
- Severe pain in the back or side.
- Scattering pain to the groin and lower abdomen.
- Pain that differs in intensity and comes in waves.
- Burning sensation during urination.
- The pinkish, reddish or brownish appearance of the urine.
- Foul-smelling urine.
- A long-lasting urge to urinate, multiple urges to urinate and decreased urine output.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Ayurvedic medicine for kidney stones provides relief from the recurring episodes of irritating symptoms.
Are there any risk factors for kidney stones?
Certain risk factors work as the alarms that alert you about your health and the potential of becoming a victim of the ailment. Factors that puts you in the loophole of becoming a kidney stone patient are as follows:
- Family history with kidney stones: Having a history with kidney stones can put you at risk of developing the same condition.
- Dehydration: Being hydrated is an emblem of good health and vitality because water is a medium of flushing the toxins out.
- Specific dietary options: A diet rich in protein, sodium and sugar can increase the risk of the formation of kidney stones.
- Obesity: If a person has an unhealthy body mass index, his body is already at risk of procuring health issues, and kidney stones are one of them. The traits of obesity are directly linked to the risk of kidney stones.
- Digestive diseases and surgery: Diseases associated with causing changes in the digestive process increase the amounts of stone-forming substances in the urine.
- Other medical conditions- Renal tubular acidosis, cystinuria, hyperparathyroidism, and recurrent urinary tract infections can also increase the risk of kidney stones.
- Certain Supplements and medications
Ayurvedic management of kidney stones
The traditional art of Ayurveda, which has existed since the dawn of civilization, is an expert in providing holistic solutions for the problems linked with human anatomy. When we talk about ayurvedic treatment for kidney stones, the natural healing system of Ayurveda focuses on understanding the pathology of the condition and then treats the ailment from its core.
Kidney stone treatment in Ayurveda uses therapies such as panchakarma therapy to better the mental, physical and spiritual wellbeing of the kidney stone patient. Natural healing therapies can work to break down more than 95% of stones and expel them from the body without using any surgical procedure.
The herbal course of medications in kidney stone ayurvedic treatment includes medicinal plant-based medication, diet, and lifestyle modifications. The altering of the biochemical quality of urine can assist in the treatment and prevention of kidney stones. Increasing the fluid intake and some dietary changes can help achieve the objective of ayurvedic treatment. Diuretic herbs are known for breaking stones, and they are eliminated in the urine quickly.
Ayurvedic medicine for kidney stones can help in the management of recurrent episodes of kidney stones. These herbs are effective in the breakdown of kidney stones.
- Pashanabheda (Bergenia ligulata)
- Kushmanda seeds (Benincasa hispida Cong.)
- Kantkari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Bakul (Mimusops Elengi)
- Jasmine (Jasminum auriculatum)
- Punarnava (Boerhaavia Diffusa)
- Varuna (Crataeva nurvala)
- Shigru (Moringa Oleifera)
- Coriander (Coriandrum Sativum L)
The best treatment for kidney stones is found in the efficient natural healing system of Ayurveda as it treats kidney stores using the natural modes of treatments- natural healing therapies, herbal course of medications, and ayurvedic diet chart.
The bottom line- Ayurveda is the passage of being free from the pain caused by kidney stones.
Disclaimer: Content on this page is for knowledge purposes only. It should not be taken as a substitute for professional medical advice without consulting any ayurvedic practitioner. For further advice, you can use this helpline: +91-9871712050 number or visit www.karmaayurvedahospital.com.