Kidney disease requires a lot of care and cautions in order to get back into the right condition. Eating healthy is very necessary when we have damaged kidneys. There are certain nutrients that are required to be prevented from entering the body by any means. Once these unhealthy nutrients enter the human body they exert pressure on the kidneys. The ill kidneys could not make the best out of these nutrients and as a result, it accumulates within the body and causes a medical condition called uremia. This condition contributes to the worsening of kidneys’ health. This is why it is suggested to eat good food for bad kidneys.
In order to eat healthily, it is important to know about the right food. The two leading causes of kidney diseases are diabetes and high blood pressure and if they come under control then major issues related to kidneys would be under control. In order to support the health of the kidneys for good, one should put control over the consumption of sugar, salt, fat, sodium, excess phosphorus, potassium, and protein. This blog would help you to learn about unsafe food for damaged kidneys.
Nutritional balancing for ill kidneys
While suffering from the bad health of the kidneys some restrictions are made by the doctors over the consumption of certain nutrients. As mentioned above, these nutrients make the condition of the kidneys even worse. Hence, they suggest you with a proper diet plan which is inclusive of superfood for damaged kidneys.
- Along with fat and carbohydrates, protein makes up the food. We all know that protein can be obtained through vegetables, dairy, and meats. The human body itself contains a certain amount of protein enough to build the RBC, muscles, hormones, etc. but when the amount of protein exceeds it becomes hard on the kidneys. This is why the consumption of a moderate protein diet is crucial during kidney ailments. The required amount of the protein by the body is 1 gram per kilogram. Good food for bad kidneys should have less protein in it.
- Potassium is a mineral kept by the kidneys in the blood for the good health of the heart. Any disturbance in the potassium level can be a risk for the heart’s health. However, ill kidneys cannot process it and its accumulation takes place. So, there should be a limited amount of potassium consumption that would favor both the heart and the kidneys. The best food for the kidney is the one that also contains a moderate amount of potassium.
- During kidney disease, a limit should be put over the consumption of phosphorus as the excess cannot be removed from the blood. Phosphorus rich food for damaged kidneys can make the condition worse.
- Sodium is needed by the body to regulate BP and fluid balance. However, some food item contains excess sodium and some can just make the high BP issues even worse and could also cause sabotage to the kidneys.
- Excess consumption of sugar and starch can invite conditions like diabetes and cause harm to the kidneys. Therefore, fewer amounts of these nutrients should be consumed.
- Fluids are always helpful unless your kidneys are retaining fluid and causing swelling. Drink at least 8 glasses of water but consult the amount of consumption with a doctor when the damage is severe.
Food that should be eliminated
Given below is the list of food items that are considered unsafe food for damaged kidneys:
- The first thing is to eliminate the consumption of any type of packed, junk, or processed food. They are high in sodium and nitrates that can result in cancer. The impact of these food items can be very hazardous.
- The consumption of soda is nothing less than poison during kidney diseases. It is rich in many chemicals and has sugar in it that can damage the kidneys and may turn diabetes worse. Eliminate any type of soda from the diet.
- Avocadoes might be a healthy option for common people but for people suffering from kidney disease, it is a ball of potassium that can have some deadly impact on the body.
- Alcohol should not be consumed even by healthy people and for kidney patients, it is a dreadful choice.
- Butter should be eliminated from the diet due to the high cholesterol, calories, and high saturated fat content. Instead, unsaturated fats are the best food for a kidney when you are looking for something greasy.
- Frozen meals are the contributor to type 2 diabetes and various issues related to kidneys and heart.
- Dairy products are a high source of phosphorus and can damage kidneys in the worst way. Keep its consumption at bay.
- Potatoes and orange juice are rich in potassium. Thus, eliminate consumption.
- Excess water consumption can cause problems to the kidneys and can put them at risk of failure. Never consume vitamin water, sports drinks, and other related beverages as they are rich in potassium and sodium content. However, adding things like berries, lemon, and cucumber to the water can be a better option.
- Eliminate whole wheat bread from the diet due to its potassium and phosphorus content. Moreover, white bread can be a portion of good food for bad kidneys.
- The high potassium and phosphorus content make brown rice a bad choice for the kidneys.
- Bananas and oranges should also be eliminated from the meals.
- Olives, apricots, pickle, relish, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, swiss chard, beet greens, spinach, prunes, dates, and raisins are dangerous options for people suffering from kidney diseases.
Disclaimer:- The purpose of the content on this page is not to substitute any professional medical advice but to only provide information to the reader. If the reader is a kidney patient, we recommend not making any diet or routine changes without consulting his/her doctor or dietitian. For appointments, call at our 24×7 helpline: +91-9871712050 or visit www.karmaayurvedahospital.com