Introduction to Hydronephrosis
The kidneys begin to swell when the urine gets stockpile in it, and this condition is called hydronephrosis. There can be a blockage in the kidneys that obstructs the urine flow to the bladder. This condition can take place in either one or both of the kidneys.
Normally urine flows through the urinary tract with minimum pressure, but when there is an obstruction in the urinary tract, you need to put more pressure. When the urine builds up for a prolonged time, your kidney becomes enlarged. If left untreated, this condition can push you to the edge of kidney failure.
The problem of hydronephrosis may or may not arise with the symptoms. One of the very well known signs of this problem is a pain in the sides/back, abdomen, and groin. Problems associated with urination, pain while urinating, nausea, and fever are some other symptoms of this condition. The severity of blockage of the urine and the causes of hydronephrosis decides the symptoms.
Causes of hydronephrosis
Since hydronephrosis is not a disease but a disorder that grows due to the internal or external conditions that affect the kidney, the causes of hydronephrosis can be different in adults and children. Let’s read about these causes in detail.
Hydronephrosis in adults
Some primary and common reasons that cause the problem of hydronephrosis in adults are given below.
- Kidney stones are a common reason for many kidney diseases. These stones make their way out of the kidneys and reach the ureters and block them. It causes hydronephrosis in humans.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a swelling in the prostate gland in adult men.
- Pelvic organ prolapse also causes this problem. In this condition, more than one pelvic organ bulges in the vagina.
- Cancer in the urinary tract can also lead to the condition of hydronephrosis.
- Pregnancy, neurogenic bladder, and narrowing of the ureters are some other conditions that end up in hydronephrosis.
Hydronephrosis in children
Hydronephrosis can damage the health of a newborn baby as well as an infant. Hydronephrosis in infants is called antenatal hydronephrosis. Generally, this problem gets better on its own within a few months a baby is born. Some causes of hydronephrosis in children are:
- Sometimes the growth of excess tissues can block or make the urinary tract of a child narrow. It may cause hydronephrosis in the kid.
- Sometimes the urine flow control valve between the ureter and bladder does not function the way it is supposed to function. It results in the backflow of urine to the kidneys. This condition is called vesicoureteral reflux, and it can cause hydronephrosis in children.
Symptoms of Hydronephrosis
When you have hydronephrosis, you will notice:
- Need to urinate more often
- Pain in the abdomen
- Pressure when urinating
Hampering the flow of urine increases your chances of getting a urinary tract infection. UTI infections are common complications of hydronephrosis.
If you see signs as mentioned above, then schedule your appointment with an ayurvedic specialist to begin your hydronephrosis treatment in Ayurveda. Ayurvedic treatment can help you eliminate severe conditions such as infections in the kidney, sepsis, infections in the bloodstream, and some other complications of hydronephrosis.
Treatment options for hydronephrosis
The treatment for hydronephrosis emphasizes on getting rid of the causes that affect the urinary system. The treatment to cure hydronephrosis depends upon the cause of the obstruction in the urinary system. If a blocked ureter is causing you this medical condition, then the doctor would prescribe ayurvedic treatment for hydronephrosis to remove this barrier and bring back the healthy nature of ureter. The treatment is done to remove the urine build up in the kidneys and relieve the pressure on the ureter. The treatment is carried out to drain out the kidney by inserting a small tube into the skin. It makes the urine to flow outside and thus relieve the pressure on the kidneys.
Some home remedies that can help along with the hydronephrosis ayurvedic treatment are:
- Mix two spoons of olive oil and lemon juice and take it along with a glass of water. It is very effective for kidney stones, a cause of hydronephrosis.
- Taking radish leaves juice will also help remove a kidney stone from the body.
- Consume lots of water, and other fluids as this will pass stone from your kidney easily without any side effects.
- Tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper early in the morning.
- Watermelon is good for patients with kidney stones.
This was a small piece of information about hydronephrosis. It is essential to keep yourself updated with the knowledge related to your body so that you can prevent the disease before it causes any major damage.
Disclaimer:- The purpose of the content on this page is not to substitute any professional medical advice but to only provide information to the reader. If the reader is a kidney patient, we recommend not making any diet or routine changes without consulting his/her doctor or dietitian. For appointments, call at our 24×7 helpline: +91-9871712050 or visit www.karmaayurvedahospital.com