Diet Tips for Kidney Patients!
Diet plays an important role in our lives and helps us maintaining our overall health. While undergoing any medication for a major disease it is important to take dietary precautions as the immune system becomes weak. Diet can improve and worsen your health, so you’ve to choose wisely. Here are certain diet tips for the kidney patients. Take a look!
How diet plays an important role?
Diet for kidney disease plays an important role in the treatment plan. As kidney disease progress, the diet changes as the disease get worst or as to how the kidney functions. There are “super foods” that prevent or protect against undesirable fatty acid oxidation, a condition that occurs when the oxygen in the body reacts with fats in the blood and cells.
A good knowledge about the current status of kidney disease would help determine the food that one should take in. The best time to use diet for kidney disease is during the early phase of kidney failure. It is easier to reverse the kidney damage in the initial stages with the right food and Ayurvedic treatment. The best diet for kidney disease should suggest the right amount of all the nutrients.
Food not to eat while ailing with a Kidney Disease:
- Cantaloupe and honeydew
- Dried fruit
- Milk and yogurt
- Nuts and seeds
- Oranges and orange juice
- Pumpkin and winter squash
- Salt substitutes and low sodium foods that contain potassium additives
- Tomato products (juices, sauces, paste)
Proper Nutrients to Take During Kidney Meal:
- Eating small portions of animal protein such as chicken, fish, eggs, meat, and dairy
- Low fat or fat-free milk, yogurt and cheese and skimmed milk can be included
- Alcohol, aerated drinks and caffeine should be completely avoided
- Packed, processed or canned food should be avoided in the meal
- Spices and salted food should be avoided
- Home-made food such as moong daal khichdi (split green gram), sabudana kheer (tapioca) and salad recipes should be included
- Olive oil, peanut oil and corn oil should be for cooking
Vegetables and Fruits with High Nutritional Properties
- Red bell pepper is low in potassium and rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A and a source of antioxidant that helps in fighting cancer
- Cabbage has high fiber content, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K which are easier for the kidneys to filter
- Garlic acts as an amazing substitute for garlic powder and a good source of salt for dialysis patients
- Apples are good in taste and reduces cholesterol and protect against heart disease which is the main cause of kidney problems.
- Cranberries are not only great in taste but also protect against bladder infections
- Blueberry is a source of high antioxidant and Vitamin C that are good for kidneys
- Egg whites are good quality protein that provides less phosphorus and more energy to kidneys
- Olive oil is the good source of fats and oil and reduces the lower rates of heart disease and cancer
Being diagnosed with kidney disease doesn’t have to be the first step down a slippery slope. But for many people who choose not to take a proactive approach, then it certainly can be. The patients should adhere to a right diet to be in the best physical shape to deal with the symptoms of kidney damage ,It can be treated by Ayurvedic medicine for kidney damage.