Two small organs shaped like a bean located in the retro peritoneal space in the body; they are known as kidneys. The size of the organ is 11 centimeters, which collects blood from the renal arteries present in pairs and releases the blood in the paired veins. These kidneys are connected to the ureter for the excretion of urine from the bladder. The unit that forms the structure and does the functioning is called a nephron. The kidneys of humans are made up of one million nephrons, whereas this number varies in animals. The kidneys perform numerous significant functions, and any damage to the organ can hinder the working of the kidneys. However, there lie many Ayurvedic treatments for kidney problems that provide a remedy to even cellular damage.
Functions of kidneys
Apart from the process of filtration of waste from the body, kidneys take part in many important activities that provide assistance in keeping the body healthy and in working condition.
- Maintains body fluid
- Maintains acid-base balance
- Electrolyte concentration
- Fluid osmolality
- Toxins removal
Kidneys are not only dependent upon nephrons for carrying out their function, but they also perform some functions free from nephrons such as the conversion of vitamin D’s prototype to its active form and synthesis of hormones like renin and erythropoietin.
Nephropathy is the medical term used to describe diseases of kidneys. The underlying causes of kidney problems can have their roots attached to the complications in other organs as well. Unknowingly or knowingly, we come across many conditions that cause damage to the kidneys. Kidney problems are not only bound to kidney stones or kidney failure, but there is much more on the list.
- Chronic kidney disease – Gradual loss of functioning capability of kidneys over time.
- Acute kidney disease – Sudden loss of functioning capability of kidneys for seven days.
- Polycystic kidney disease – A congenital condition causing the growth of numerous fluid-filled structures in kidneys.
- Kidney stones – They are the stones formed by the deposition of acid salts and minerals together.
- Glomerulonephritis – Inflammation of the glomeruli.
- Urinary tract infections – Infection affecting the part of the urinary tract that includes kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, and urethra.
- Kidney infections – Also known as pyelonephritis, is the medical condition when both of the kidneys are affected by viruses and bacteria.
These are some of the problems or manner in which the damage is caused to the kidneys. However, kidney stones and kidneys infections are commonly neglected issues. It is significant to treat this condition as it is fatal, then it seems and causes major damage. It can affect anyone despite the various factors of the human body.
The alternative appellation for kidney stones is urolithiasis. It develops in the urinary tract when the acid salts and minerals deposit together. It happens to form in the kidneys and escape the body through the urine stream. A stone greater than 5 mm in size can block the ureter and may result in lower back pain or pain in the abdomen. A study suggests that people suffering from kidney stones are likely to get stones back within ten years. The diagnosis of kidney stones is made depending upon the symptoms. In artificial treatment methods, large stones are passed out from the body with procedures like ureteroscopy, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, and percutaneous nephrolithotomy. However, kidney stones can be best treated by Ayurvedic treatment for kidney stones. A kidney stone during pregnancy is a worrisome condition as the chances of stones during this time is one out of every 1500 to 3000 pregnancy. Stones during this time can be the result of changes that occur in the body of the women.
The best treatment for kidney stones
Ayurveda is the solution to every problem that damages the human body. All the artificial treatment procedures for kidney stones ask for a lot of pain and pressure on the physical and mental health of a human being. The best treatment for kidney stones lies in Ayurveda, which is inclusive of all the essentials easily available at home. All these natural treatment works on the root causes and reduces the risks of stones in the future.
- Drinking a lot of water is the first and foremost natural solution to the kidneys stones.
- Drinking coconut water helps in the easy and quick dissolution of stones.
- Lemon juice with warm or cold water also prevents kidney stones.
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of okra, along with the richness of magnesium, prevents chemical crystallization responsible for kidney stones.
- Consumption of tulsi (basil) will also help in the prevention of stones.
Ayurvedic treatment for Kidney Infection
Commonly known as kidney infections and medically as pyelonephritis, this is damage caused to the kidneys due to the bacteria and viruses. Flank tenderness, fever, frequent urination with a burning sensation, and nausea are some of the general symptoms of kidney infection. Sexual intercourse during such a period can put you at a high risk of infection. Moreover, diabetes, spermicidal, and preceding UTIs are also some of the risk factors. Kidney infections are prevalent in girls, but it is something that cannot be neglected. Kidney infections and back pain have their relation to eternity. Kidney infection treatment in Ayurveda is inclusive of a lot of fluids and some significant lifestyle changes.
- Water is the solution for many things, and it can also cure kidney infections.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol and coffee as they can pressurize the kidneys in their normal functioning.
- Ayurvedic treatment for kidney infections also includes juices of cranberry, parsley, and apple.
- For curing the pain of infections, take an Epsom salt bath.
- Include vitamin C to the diet.